Kale Butternut Squash Salad is a great salad to make for the Fall and Winter months. Four ingredients not counting the dressing. Vegetarian and Gluten Free and could easily be made Vegan.
First of all, I really really like trying to create interesting salads. It almost seemed somewhat of a challenge for me to come up with a tasty salad that also can stand alone as a meal.
Therefore by adding squash in the salad makes it a lot more satisfying and you could definitely serve as a great dinner solo. Also pretty enough to compliment any holiday dinner table as a side.
And this is always one of those foods that kind of intimidated me...what do I make with it? Once past all that I was sold. Hence, now it's one of my favorite winter squash to cook with.
And really a quick effortless salad to make as long as the butternut squash disassembly doesn't scare you.
While you could always buy the squash already cut up, that takes away from the fun of it. After you've done this several times it becomes much easier. First you want to cut the ends off the squash and then peel it.
I usually cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds next. Depending on the size of the squash I know this can be somewhat challenging if you've never done it. Hey, look at it like this; you're also getting in a great Upper-body workout while preparing dinner.
My husband used to cut up the squash for me, but since he is not always available when I'm making butternut squash I've just learned to tackle it myself.
Whew.... hard part is done. The squash can be prepared ahead of time if you like and just warm in the oven prior to assembling your salad. It's also good cold on the salad.
This salad is just dressed with a Lemon Dijon vinaigrette and it definitely complimented all of the flavors well.
So if you've never been a kale or butternut squash fan I think maybe I can convince you with this one.
Kale Butternut Squash Salad is the perfect Fall and Winter Salad because:
- Only four ingredients
- Can easily be made Vegan(for all your vegan guests)
- All the vibrant colors make it the perfect Holiday dish
Kale Butternut Squash Salad
- Dressing ingredients:
- 1 ½ lemons juiced
- 2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 ½ tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. basil
- dash of cayenne pepper
- salt & pepper to taste
- Salad ingredients:
- 1 large bunch of green kale
- 1 butternut squash
- ¼ cup raspberries or cranberries
- 2 ounces of crumbled goat cheese*
- Dressing instructions:
- Juice 1 ½ lemons in small mixing bowl. Add Dijon mustard, olive oil, garlic, garlic powder, basil, cayenne pepper. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Combine well and allow to sit at least 45 minutes prior to serving. You can always make dressing earlier in the day. It tastes better the longer the flavors have to blend.
- Make sure to stir well prior to dressing your salad with it.
- Salad instructions:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Cut ends off butternut squash and peel. Cut in half and remove the seeds. Cut squash into fairly large chunks and dress with olive oil and sea salt. Roast in preheated oven 35-40 minutes until golden brown.
- Meanwhile wash & dry kale and break into bite size pieces being careful to remove hard stems from the center. Then I like to massage my kale with a little olive oil and sprinkle of sea salt. Make sure to rub it in good. Then top salad with remaining ingredients.
- Dress with Lemon Dijon vinaigrette