Hello and Happy Tuesday! It seems like it should be further along in the week but maybe it’s just because of the long weekend. I wanted to share these Zoodles with Cauliflower Meatless Balls today.Spaghetti and meatballs have always been one of my favorite dishes, but once I became a vegetarian I had to drop the meatballs. I actually loved most dishes that included pasta of any sorts. I must admit I probably had a slight addiction to the stuff. When I decided to become vegetarian my pasta habit did not end then, it just became meatless. It wasn’t until several years ago when I realized gluten was not doing my body good that I needed to reevaluate my diet once again.So when first attempting the gluten-free lifestyle, I tried to replace my pasta habit with rice pastas. These were adequate at the time, but I also realized I was probably missing the point. I felt like I really needed to try and include as much whole food in my diet as possible. And this is where my love for Zoodles first started.
And of course the next step was to come up with a great tasty meatball that didn’t involve meat. It needed to consist of as much whole foods as possible. So that’s where my recipe for the cauliflower meatless balls came from.And here you have them in all their glory. Of course you will need to bake them first but the texture was really good and the flavor exceptional. Cauliflower as a tasty little meatball for Zoodles. They are also great as a little snack. When I made them I didn’t need them all for dinner that night so I just snacked on these and they were so good.
I think I like them better than the traditional meatballs that I used to eat years ago. So even if you’re not a Zoodles fan try these little meatballs on your next Italian dish or sub. I don’t think you will be disappointed.
- Cauliflower Meatless Balls
- ½ medium cauliflower broken into florets
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 ounces Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 eggs
- ⅔ cup Gluten-free panko bread crumbs
- ½ tsp. each dried parsley flakes, basil, garlic powder, onion powder, & oregano
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 medium to large zucchini
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Marinara sauce
- optional: parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Meanwhile put cauliflower florets, onion, and garlic in food processor and pulse until rice like.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat and put cook cauliflower, onion, and garlic in pan. Cook about 10 minutes. The goal is to try and remove as much moisture as possible. Remove from heat in put in medium mixing bowl. Add Monterey Jack cheese, beaten eggs, bread crumbs and spices.
- Combine well and shape into balls. You can actually make them whatever size you like your meatballs to be.
- Bake in preheated oven 25-30 minutes turning once during cooking process.
- Zoodles were made with Spiralizer but you could also thinly slice them with a knife if you don't have one. I put them in a colander and sprinkle with salt and allow to sit about 20 minutes to remove as much moisture as possible. Rinse and then pat dry. Cook in pan over medium low heat a couple minutes with 1 tbsp. olive oil just till they are slightly cooked.
- These were topped with Marinara sauce, parmesan cheese, and cauliflower meatless balls
You can warm the pasta sauce on low heat while the meatless balls are cooking.
You can make the Zoodles early in the day in store in fridge covered until ready to make dinner.