Vegetarian Shepherds Pie with Mashed Cauliflower is bursting with flavors of marinated veggies and then topped with cheesy mashed cauliflower so it’s lower carbs. Gluten Free and Vegetarian.
Sometimes you just have to go for it!! And this recipe spoke to me as I was creating it. Because it reminded me of one of my favorite dishes growing up.
A lot of my meal prep and recipe creations come from inspiration with things I already have on hand. This Vegetarian Shepherds Pie with Mashed Cauliflower is no exception.
When I used to eat Shepherds Pie originally I wasn’t a Vegetarian, so there was usually ground beef involved.
The decision to become vegetarian came way later in life and involved a lot of various reasons. One of them trying to be more health conscious and the other was my love for animals. Therefore it just kind of all made sense to me.
Then several years ago I went gluten free and noticed a huge improvement in how I felt. No going back after that. So you won’t find any recipes on here with gluten either.
I’m a firm believer that food and exercise play a very huge role in our overall health. And I will continue to try and come up with as many tasty ways to share that with you.
The vegetable selection I used for this Shepherds Pie was some I had marinating in the fridge from my Grilled Veggie Kabobs that I had cooked the night before.
So it kind of worked out perfectly. Making a tasty and nutritious recipe out of ingredients I already have in the fridge…Score 🙂
This is probably going to be on the top of my list to make again. All the flavors just blended together so well. Hence you probably want to make sure you marinate these veggies at least several hours.
If I haven’t convince you to try this Vegetarian Shepherds Pie with Mashed Cauliflower then here is why:
- marinated veggies just have way more flavor
- using cauliflower makes this a lower carb version
- you can use whatever selection of veggies you have available
- perfect for an night of the week or even holiday worthy
- packed with so many veggies making it a healthy, tasty choice
- Combination of yellow squash, mushrooms, grape tomatoes, Brussel sprouts, carrots, and red onion marinated.*
- 4-5 cloves garlic crushed & chopped
- ¾ cup olive oil
- ¾ cup red wine vinegar
- ½ cup Braggs Liquid Aminos**
- 1 tsp. minced onion flakes
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. basil
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. fennel seeds
- 1 16 ounce bag frozen cauliflower florets(could use fresh)
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded( I used white sharp cheddar)
- Preheat oven 400 degrees
- Place marinated veggies on large baking sheet and roast 15 minutes. Remove from oven and place in bottom of casserole pan.
- Meanwhile bring large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add cauliflower and cook until tender about 8-10 minutes. Drain well. Add butter, cream cheese, garlic powder, salt & pepper and mash with potato masher. Top the veggies with the mashed cauliflower and then shredded cheese.
- Bake 30 minutes
**could use soy sauce as substitute