These Ultimate Scalloped Potatoes are definitely worthy of a special occasion but can also be enjoyed any night of the week you feel special. Creamy potatoes, onions, garlic and cheese make this a tasty family favorite.
Scalloped Potatoes are probably one of my favorite sides to prepare when thinking of comfort<—taste and that overall feeling of being satisfied. Ahhh…
You know that feeling you get after eating a great meal and just hunkering down in the house for the Evening.
Hence with the cooler weather coming and the holidays I’m preparing a lot more of those dishes.
These Ultimate Scalloped Potatoes have become a favorite in my house. And they’re also great leftover so make sure to make a big pan!
Really once you get the potatoes peeled and sliced the rest doesn’t take that long. You could actually use a mandolin slicer to make these but I prefer to do mine by hand with my knife.
I’m just better able to judge the level of thickness of the potato like that. Ohhh, and also I’m a little bit intimated by really sharp objects…So needless to say my mandolin slicer is collecting a lot of dust.
So either way just allow yourself a little extra time to make these but I promise they are sooo worth it. You know what they say..HUH..Good things come to those who wait…Good things like Po-ta-toes!
Guess that’s why we patiently wait for all the good food over the Holidays.
Also I kind of just equate it with a little extra time to Chill.
Cause usually along with the holidays you get a few days to just kick back and really enjoy all the awesome food.
But you don’t need to wait to enjoy these Ultimate Scalloped Potatoes with your family since:
- You can always use comfort any day of the week
- Makes your house smell amazing while they’re slowly baking
- Everyone loves Ultimate Scalloped Potatoes
- It’s really okay to indulge yourself with a little self control 🙂
- Vegetarian and Gluten Free
- 2½ - 3 lbs yukon gold or red potatoes thinly sliced
- ½ yellow onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. ground mustard seed
- ½ tsp. paprika*
- 1½ cups half & half cream
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt(full fat) divided
- 3 tbsp. cornstarch
- 3 tbsp. butter divided
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- ¼ parmesan cheese shredded
- Preheat oven 375 degrees
- Butter casserole dish generously with 1 tbsp. butter and set aside.
- Meanwhile peel potatoes and thinly slice. After peeling them set them in a large bowl of cold water as this helps remove some starch. Drain and rinse one more time.
- Chop onions and mince garlic and place in small bowl. I also put the spices in a bowl to combine.
- Place half of the sliced potatoes on bottom of casserole dish.
- Dot with 1 tbsp. butter, half the onion garlic mix, half the constarch, half spice mixture, ½ cup yogurt, and half the cheese evenly across the potatoes.
- Repeat layer starting with remaining potatoes.
- Cover and bake in preheated oven 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and carefully remove cover and top with parmesan cheese.
- Bake an additional 10 minutes.
- Allow at least 10 minutes prior to serving.