Spinach Mushroom Calzone is loaded with mushrooms, spinach, and cheese. It’s the perfect hand held treat for a tasty, fun dinner or lunch. Vegetarian and Gluten Free.
I can honestly say I can’t remember the last time I enjoyed a good Calzone before making this one. So when I made this Spinach Mushroom Calzone I was beyond excited with the results.
It’s one of those things that you think maybe you can’t have when you’re on a gluten free diet. But I’m here to tell you that you can cause:
- It’s made with a gluten free pizza mix.
- You can actually shape it into a calzone..at least I tried.
- The size can be determined by you 🙂 But I went for Big.
And since I haven’t had one of these for a while I packed it extra full of all my favorite ingredients.
But just to let you in on a little secret, my last attempt at a Calzone didn’t turn out so well…uhmmm. Bad but edible. Haha.
Anyway, I’m sure we’ve all had our food flops. The fact that we could still eat that one made it not a total disaster. Thanks to my very tolerant and easy to please husband.
But hey, if you don’t try you never know what you may come up with.
So “Hale” to all the food failures that actually turned into something great.
This calzone definitely being one of those. What was your worst food failure that actually turned into something great?
I think I can move on now with calzones back in my life and I’m sure you’re probably going to be seeing more of them here. I’ve got some great ideas for creating them. And they may involve the ingredients of this sandwich.
When thinking about dinner make it something you enjoy creating. I know when I take that approach I pretty much always end up with Food Success 🙂
- 2-3 ounces mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1½ tbsp. olive oil divided
- 1 10 ounce bag frozen mixed mushrooms*
- ¼ tsp. fennel seeds
- ½ tsp. garlic powder divided
- salt & pepper to taste
- 5 ounces fresh spinach leaves
- 4 ounces softened cream cheese
- 3 tbsp. plain greek yogurt(full fat)
- Namaste GF Pizza Crust Mix**
- Prepare pizza mix according to package directions for one pizza.***
- Meanwhile heat 1 tbsp. olive oil over medium heat. Add chopped onion and garlic and cook 2-3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook additional 1-2 minutes and stir in fennel seeds and ¼ tsp garlic powder, salt & pepper to taste.
- Continue to cook about 5-6 more minutes then drain any excess liquid.
- Add spinach leaves in batches and cook until slightly wilted. Drain any excess liquid again.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In small separate bowl mix cream cheese, yogurt, and ¼ tsp. garlic powder until smooth.
- Place mushroom and spinach mixture on bottom side of calzone.
- Top with cream cheese mixture and mozzarella cheese.
- Fold calzone over and put back in preheat 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes.
**can use your choice of pizza dough
***once spreading out pizza dough I made two large circles that I placed side by side so when cooking they would connect yet fold over for the calzone shape.