Roasted Butternut Squash & Red Pepper Soup is a creamy flavorful soup that’s great for lunch or dinner. Vegetarian and Gluten Free.
I guess you could say winter is officially here. The kind of day you just find yourself wanting to sit in front of a good movie on your living room couch with a hot bowl of soup.
Soup has been my thing over the past week or so. It’s just something I can make a variety of different ways and not get bored with it. So I’ve been experimenting again. Look OUT!
This time with Butternut squash and roasted red peppers. It turned out really good though, so I knew I needed to share this one soon.
Butternut Squash roasted just makes such a flavorful soup and combine that with the red peppers and it truly is one of my favorite combinations for soup.
You can also eat this cold and it’s really tasty…Believe me I’ve tried it.
It’s also really colorful and kind of has the Fallish look going on. So when you start bringing out all the Pumpkin Spice everything make sure to include this on the menu.
- 1 small/medium butternut squash peeled and chopped
- 3 small red peppers
- 1½ tbsp. olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- dash of cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp. Chardonnay(optional)
- 2½ cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup half & half
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Peel and chop butternut squash into chunks and place in mixing bowl. Cut the tops off red peppers and put in bowl with squash. Add ½ tbsp. olive oil and sea salt. Combine well. Cook in preheated oven about 30 minutes until fork tender making sure to turn at least once during cooking. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile saute onion, garlic, salt, pepper, and dash of cayenne in remaining olive oil and butter about 5 minutes adding optional chardonnay at this point. Continue to cook until onions are translucent about 8-10 minutes total.
- Add butternut squash to onion mixture and mash with fork or masher. Add chopped roasted red peppers, vegetable broth and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and cool about 5-10 minutes and then blend with Immersion blender until smooth consistency.
- Add half & half and return to heat and cook an additional 10 minutes
- Taste for salt & pepper
Chardonnay or other white wine
roasted red peppers