These One Pan Skillet Baked Hush Puppies are a healthier option than deep fried. Baked in a skillet gives them a crunchy crust with a super moist center. Gluten Free and Vegetarian.
Hey Guys and Happy Thursday to you! Do you ever just feel like where has the week gone?
Well that’s kind of been my week in a nutshell.
Going through all of the same routine tasks but never feeling as though I’ve accomplished any one thing.
But I do have have these One Pan Skillet Baked Hush Puppies to share with you so maybe that will make up for it.
Because One pan anything is always good and Hush puppies are meant to be shared.
So when the husband said hush puppies used to be his favorite thing when eating seafood I was on a mission.
Because that’s exactly what I thrive on.. I absolutely love a challenge in the kitchen and it’s even better when some one else requests it.
And even though we don’t eat seafood anymore..doesn’t mean you can’t have Hush puppies. They go great with baked fries, coleslaw, beans and so much more.
Anyway, so I’m thinking..uhhmm, these need to be a lot healthier version than what you could buy.
They need to have all the flavors of a traditional hush puppy, yet in a baked gluten free version.
And of course, I thought “I got this”, not going disappoint the hubby or me for that matter.
Cause I used to love those little fried balls of cornmeal also and remember filling up on those.
But these my friends are even better. They’re bigger, more flavorful and baked not fried.
So mission accomplished and old favorite is now part of our menu again.
Do you guys have something you used to eat years ago but haven’t made in a while?
Whether it be from changing your diet due to making healthier choices or allergy restrictions.
These One Pan Skillet Baked Hush Puppies are:
- Healthier since baked and not fried
- Easy to prepare with only a couple ingredients
- Kid friendly
- Pair nicely with so many things or even great as a snack
- Cause hush puppies aren’t just meant to be eaten with seafood
- Gluten Free & Vegetarian
- 1½ cups corn meal
- 1 cup Gluten Free Oat Flour
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. paprika and cayenne pepper
- ½ yellow onion finely minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt(full fat)
- 1 tbsp. butter
- Preheat oven 400 degrees.
- Melt 1 tbsp. butter in cast iron skillet.
- Meanwhile in large mixing bowl combine all dry ingredients including onion and garlic.
- In small separate mixing bowl combine eggs, and greek yogurt and beat well.
- Pour egg mixture in with dry mix and combine well.
- Shape into equal size balls and place in cast iron skillet with melted butter.
- Bake 15-20 minutes until slightly browned and crispy.