Mini Grit Crust Quiche Cups are the perfect little make ahead breakfast or snack. Everything you need to start the day off Right in a portable little treat. Gluten Free & Vegetarian.
Hello and Happy, Happy Monday to you!
And maybe I appear to be a little too excited for a Monday. But it’s almost Spring and I’ve got these cute little cups to share with you.
Are you starting to feel Spring fever yet? The little birdies are starting to chirp more and you know it’s getting close.
I don’t know about you but it just seems to put a little more bounce in my step…along with breakfast already to go in the morning.
Because to be quite Honest, if I haven’t mentioned this yet, I’m Really really not a morning person.
So that’s where these cute little quiche cups save the day! Mini Grit Crust Quiche Cups are the perfect way to start off the day!
Well that and a pot of coffee waiting on the stove. Haha!! And for a lot of us the coffee part can be really crucial.
And since my husband is like the best coffee maker in the world..hope he doesn’t get a big head now..I just let him take care of that part.
Are you guys picky about you’re coffee? Like do you grind your own beans and all.
Let me tell you once you’ve done it that way there is no going back…The flavor of the coffee is just sooo much fresher.
And if you’re thinking I don’t need another appliance in my kitchen..did you know you can grind the beans in a food processor? Freshly ground coffee beans just smell Amazing!
Okay, let’s get back to the recipe on hand since I kind of got off on a coffee tangent.
Hence, if you haven’t tried make ahead breakfast ideas before I’m going to Sum up all the reasons you should give these a go.
Mini Grit Crust Quiche Cups are:
- Loaded with everything you need to start the day off Right
- Well that and your perfectly brewed coffee of course
- Made ahead so if you’re not a morning person I’ve got you covered
- You can easily change the filling to suit your families preference
- Because breakfast Really is the most important meal of the day
- You can just grab them and eat in the car..No mess involved..
- Gluten Free & Vegetarian
- Grit crust:
- 1 cup corn grits
- 3 cups water
- 2 ounces softened cream cheese
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp. butter
- ½ tbsp. olive oil
- Medium yellow onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic finely diced
- 4 ounces mushrooms(any variety)
- 1 cup chopped kale hard stem removed
- Egg part:
- 7 eggs
- ¼ cup half & half cream
- dash of garlic powder
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- Preheat oven 350 degrees and lightly spray 12 cup muffin pan.
- Meanwhile prepare grits according to package directions.
- When done stir in cream cheese, garlic powder, salt & pepper to taste.
- Put approximately 1 heaping tbsp. of grits on bottom of each muffin cup and press down firmly.
- Bake in preheated oven 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile in pan on stove top heat 1 tbps. butter with ½ tbsp. olive oil.
- Add chopped onion, garlic, mushrooms and cook 7-8 minutes until translucent.
- Then add chopped kale and cook another couple minutes till slightly wilted.
- Put equal size portions into muffin cups.*
- In medium mixing bowl combine eggs, half & half cream, garlic powder and 1 cup cheddar cheese.
- Mix well and pour equal amounts of egg mixture into muffin cups.**
- Sprinkle tops of cups with remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven 30 minutes.
** Put my egg mixture in large measuring cup making it easier to pour.
Also had a little extra grits which I also saved for a later use.