Grits and Spinach Casserole is the perfect make ahead meal that can be served anytime. Vegetarian and Gluten Free.
So I don’t know if I’d categorize this as Breakfast or Dinner, but either way you’ve got a great tasting Grits and Spinach Casserole perfect for any occasion.
I’ve been making this recipe for a while now so I know you can be somewhat flexible with the additions to this. I tend to use what veggies I already have available in the fridge. That’s actually how most of my creations come about.
I generally only shop once a week for groceries not really having meal plans. I know, I know not exactly the most efficient way to do things but it works for me.
Some of my best recipes were created out of a last minute idea.
You want to start this recipe by preparing the grits. I like to make mine with vegetable broth for added flavor. Then start chopping and sautéing the vegetables.
Like I said you can be versatile with the add-ins but I always put Spinach in it.
You’re almost there once you’ve got this done. Now that didn’t take long, did it? You can saute the veggies while the grits are cooking and then it’s just mixing everything together and bake it in the oven.
Casseroles are one of my favorite things to make. You can find more casserole inspirations on my blog. One of my other favorites is Simple Mexican Casserole. I’m kind of partial to Mexican food though.
I think one of my favorite pizzas that I’ve created so far has been Mexican Pizza. So if you enjoy Mexican you may want to give one of these two recipes are try also.
- 1 cup grits
- 4 cups vegetable broth*
- 2 tbsp. butter
- ¾ cup chopped yellow onion
- ¾ cup chopped bell pepper**
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 6 ounces fresh spinach leaves
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 egg beaten
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- couple dashes hot sauce
- fresh parsley optional
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Cook grits according to package instructions. When grits are done add butter and transfer to large mixing bowl.
- Meanwhile saute yellow onion, garlic, and bell pepper in olive oil for 1-2 minutes. Add salt & pepper to taste and fresh spinach leaves in batches and cook until wilted slightly.
- Add to bowl of grits, along with cheddar cheese, egg, garlic powder, and hot sauce. Combine and pour into casserole dish. Top with parmesan cheese.
- Bake 30-35 minutes. Remove from oven and can top with parsley and additional bell pepper.
**can use any color bell peppers you have. I used a combination of red and green.