This Cheesy Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole is a tasty, easy to prepare dish perfect for when you’re having guests. Can be made ahead and easily re-heated. Vegetarian & Gluten Free.
Since they say Breakfast is the most important meal of the day then why not make it count.
And this Cheesy Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole has everything you need to get your day started right! Well this and a big pot of coffee brewing of course.
So is everyone on track with all the Holiday prep? Decorations up, meals planned, looking forward to a relaxing few days with family and friends.
Not trying to stress anyone but guys we’ve only got 6 DAYS till the big guy is supposed to come scooting down the chimney or in my case the front door.
This casserole can be one more thing you can check off the ole list.
You know “checking it once, checking it twice gonna find out who’s naughty or nice”. Sorry I couldn’t resist…But seriously this is just so easy to make since you just pop in the oven when everyone is ready to eat.
I actually ate this casserole for dinner and lunch. It really is a favorite of mine. You could even customize the types of veggies you put in here depending on what your family likes.
Yesss, I need another one of these casseroles in my life real soon. Hey you don’t even need guests to be showing up to serve this.
While it’s perfectly guest worthy food I’m sure the FAM would appreciate this any day of the week.
So let me sum up Why? you’re really going want to add this to your recipe collection:
- YUMMM…Need I say more
- Easy and can be made ahead
- Customizable to suit your guests or families taste
- Holidays are meant for relaxing
- One more thing to check off the ole list
- Gluten Free & Vegetarian
- 1 tbsp. butter plus some to butter casserole pan
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 10 ounces frozen mixed mushrooms*
- 2 cups chopped kale with stems removed
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 ounces pepper jack cheese shredded
- 4-5 eggs
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- salt & pepper to taste
- 8 ounces frozen tater tots
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter 9 by 13 casserole pan and set aside.
- Meanwhile heat butter and olive oil over medium heat.
- Add chopped yellow onion and saute 1-2 minutes till fragrant.
- Add mushrooms and cook another 8-10 minutes. Drain any excess liquid. Frozen mushrooms tend to release a lot more liquid.
- Add kale, garlic powder and cook another 1-2 minutes until slightly wilted.
- Layer mushroom, kale, onion mixture on bottom of casserole pan and spread out evenly.
- Top with half of the shredded cheese mixture.
- In medium mixing bowl beat eggs and then add greek yogurt, salt & pepper to taste and combine well.
- Pour evenly over cheese layer, then add frozen tater tots and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven 30 minutes.
Or you can add any other veggies to the bottom layer that you prefer.